Happy June + Happy Pride to everyone this month!!
Oh my god did I just say Happy June …. how are we close to half of the year gone?
June is going to be such an exciting month (no more school!!) and I’m so excited to get all the reading time, because I am exhausted and am in such a summer mood™️.
I didn’t do super well on my TBR but I’m not mad about it because I was suffering from exams and had intended on mood reading the whole month.
I’m genuinely so excited about all the books on my June TBR! Let me know if you want to buddy read any of these, and we can message on Twitter (because I love buddy reading omg).
Also – from now on, (for the sake of brevity), I’m only going to check in with my previous month’s reading plan posts and not write comments on any of them because it’s a lot for everybody. I plan to read many of the titles that I didn’t get around to in June or in the summer (where I’ll have a lot more time to read).
✔️ = read
❌ = did not read
🐬 = currently reading
⏱️ = on hold
- A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder by Holly Jackson (2nd) ❌
- Finale (Caraval, #3) by Stephanie Garber (7th) ❌
- Again, But Better by Christine Riccio (7th) ❌
- Somewhere Only We Know by Maurene Goo (7th) ❌
- With the Fire on High by Elizabeth Acevedo (7th) ✔️
- Hope and Other Punchlines by Julie Buxbaum (7th) ❌
- Aurora Rising (Aurora Cycle, #1) by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff (7th) ❌
- Red, White and Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston (14th) ❌
- Don’t Date Rosa Santos by Nina Moreno (14th) ❌
- There’s Something About Sweetie (Dimple and Rishi, #2) by Sandhya Menon (21st) ❌
- Kingsbane (Empirium, #2) by Claire Legrand (21st) ❌
- I Love You So Mochi by Sarah Kuhn (28th) ❌
- Stronger Than A Bronze Dragon by Mary Fan ✔️
- A Heart In The Body In The World by Deb Caletti 🐬
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6) ✔️
- Girls of Paper and Fire by Natasha Ngan ❌
- The Weight of Our Sky by Hanna Alkaf ❌
- An Ember in the Ashes Series (Audio) by Sabaa Tahir ❌
- American Panda by Gloria Chao ❌
- Crazy Rich Asian Series (Audio) by Kevin Kwan ❌
- To All the Boys I Loved Before Series by Jenny Han ❌
- Descendants of the Crane by Joan He ❌
- The Red Scrolls of Magic (The Eldest Curses, #1) by Cassandra Clare and Wesley Chu ✔️
- Somewhere Only We Know by Maurene Goo ❌
- Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up With Me by Mariko Tamaki ❌
- Love from A to Z by S.K Ali 🐬
- There’s Something About Sweetie (Dimple and Rishi, #2) by Sandhya Menon ❌
- Stronger Than A Bronze Dragon by Mary Fan ✔️
- A Very Large Expanse of Sea by Tahereh Mafi ✔️
- Smoke In The Sun (Flame in the Mist, #2) by Renee Ahdieh ❌
- Empress of All Seasons by Emiko Jean ❌
- Two Dark Reigns (Three Dark Crowns, #3) by Kendare Blake ❌
- Daisy Jones and the Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid ✔️
- Nevermoor (Audiobook) by Jessica Townsend ❌
- First and Then by Emma Mills ❌
June is a reading month that I’m particularly excited about, especially since I’ll have a lot more time to read! I’m planning to place an order for a bunch of books in time for the summer (some of which are on this list), and which I’m so excited for.
- Days Past (Chain of Gold Extra Content, #2) by Cassandra Clare (1st)
- This is this month’s flash fiction leading up to the publication of Chain of Gold!
- Ghosts of the Shadow Market by Cassandra Clare, Sarah Rees Brennan, Maureen Johnson, Robin Wasserman, Kelly Link (4th)
- I’ve read all of them except the last two stories, which are included in this bind-up
- The Beholder (The Beholder, #1) by Anna Bright (4th)
- This sounds super fun and I can’t wait!
- Hungry Hearts edited by Elsie Chapman and Caroline Tung Richmond (18th)
- Hello anthology on food from different cultures? Gimme.
- Fake It Til You Break It by Jenn P. Nguyen (18th)
- Did you say fake dating + rom-com + Asian rep? Excuse me while I scream when I have this in my hands.
Since it’s Pride Month this month (Happy Pride!!), I decided to celebrate by reading as many books featuring queer characters and/or by queer authors! This will probably be the focus of my reading this month, and I’m seriously so excited! Some of these will be saved for readathons later in the month (which I’m going to talk about later in this post) but I’ll try to read the rest throughout the month.
I’ve used my own knowledge, Goodreads, and posts from Marie @ Drizzle and Hurricane Books and May @ Forever and Everly (my faves!!) to ensure the rep is correct, because that is such an important thing to nail. Please let me know whether I got anything wrong or didn’t add certain pieces of information.
- Anger Is A Gift by Mark Oshiro
- This has been on my TBR for some time and sounds just so important. And this is probably the book with the most diversity that I’ve ever encountered, and I can’t wait.
- Rep: black Latinx gay MC with anxiety, Latinx gay (?) LI, literally so many queer POC side characters (mainly black and Latinx, bi, ace, demi, lesbian) + disabled wheelchair user and Muslim side character
- Small Town Hearts by Lillie Vale
- Hello a cute summer romance on a beach town? Yes. I absolutely adore that cover 😍 I’ve heard awesome things about this from Vicky in particular and lots of other people, so I can’t wait!
- Rep: bisexual MC
- Blanca & Roja by Anna-Marie McLemore
- I want to give Anna-Marie McLemore another shot, and this one is the one that I’ve been most interested in! It’s also super queer, which makes it the perfect pick for Pride.
- Rep: queer Latina MC, non-binary LI (usage of alternating pronouns), and lesbian side characters
- Red, White, and Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston
- If I don’t love this as much as everyone and their mother has, I will literally be so sad (@/hype don’t fail me)
- Buddy read with Zoe!
- Rep: bisexual biracial (Mexican, white) male MC, gay LI, bisexual female major side character, and various POC + queer side characters (rep notes by May @ Forever and Everly)
- You Must Not Miss by Katrina Leno
- This sounds so powerful and something I would enjoy. I also NEED to read a Katrina Leno so this would be a perfect pick!
- Rep: Trans LI, bisexual side character
- Don’t Date Rosa Santos by Nina Moreno
- This sounds super fun, cute and summery and I ADORE that cover! Also yes to Cuban rep
- Rep: Bisexual MC
- We Set The Dark On Fire (We Set The Dark On Fire, #1) by Tehlor Kay Mejia
- I’ve had this on so many TBRs and just have never gotten around to reading this one? Why am I like this.
- Rep: Sapphic Latinx girls in f/f relationship (thanks, May!)
- Kingsbane (Empirium, #2) by Claire Legrand
- After Furyborn, I’m so incredibly excited for this one. Cailin in particular has made me SO excited for this one!
- Rep: Bisexual main characters
- I Wish You All the Best by Mason Deaver
- I’ve heard really amazing things about this one, and I really want to read an OV non-binary contemporary.
- Rep: Non-binary MC,w/ anxiety and depression, queer POC (black?) LI
- That Inevitable Victorian Thing by E.K Johnston
- This has been on my shelf for nearly 2 years, and I have a feeling I might really like it.
- Rep: Intersex MC, polyamorous romance, mixed race MC, sapphic romance
- The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo
- Did I just reread this in January? Yes. Will I make space to reread again for Pride? Yes.
- Rep: Bisexual Cuban MC, Lesbian Love Interest, and Gay Side Characters
- Darius the Great Is Not Okay by Adib Khorram
- Look I need to make space for me to experience all the feels and annotate a physical copy, should the time come.
- Rep: Queer MC (the MC has not placed a label on his sexuality)
- Alex, Approximately by Jenn Bennett
- This sounds so cute and a great spin on You’ve Got Mail (I’ve never seen this personally), and just a great summer read!
- Buddy read with Marie!
- Finale (Caraval, #3) by Stephanie Garber
- I’m heading to Kinokuniya as soon as they have a sale, buying this to complete my set and reading this as soon as possible.
- A Heart In A Body In The World by Deb Caletti
- This has been on my currently reading shelf for like 3 months, and I seriously need to finish this. I just got the audiobook through my library and I think it will help me finish this!
- The Tempest by William Shakespeare
- I’m reading this for school, and I’m so close to the end! My reading experience with this was … unique to say the least.
This month (more specifically, the second half of the month) is going to be jampacked with readathons, and I’m so psyched, especially since school will be out by then, and I’ll have so much more time to read! I’m going to be participating in Round 4 of Buzzwordathon from the 12th to the 18th of June (hosted by Lala @ Books and Lala and Chanelle @ Chanelle Time), as well as Summer-a-thon from June 21st to 27th (hosted by Melanie @ Meltotheany, Amy @ A Court of Crowns and Quills, Jen @ Pinot and Pages, Heather @ Bookables, and Aimee @ Aimee Reads.
I’ll be posting a separate combined TBR post for both of these readathons (should I?) but a lot of these books are already included in this TBR post, so we’ll see.
What are your June Reading Plans looking like? Are you reading queer books this month for Pride? Which titles should I prioritize, if any at all? Which books are you excited about that are on this list? I would love to know.