So, December is here
and so am I!!
Because I’m back from my quick break, and (hopefully) ready to blog again!
I ended up taking a two week break because school was so overwhelming to the point where I felt that I couldn’t blog properly, and I was so burnt out that I just needed a break.
But in December, I’ll hopefully be consistent with all the end-of-year content I’m going to create (exciting), and December is gonna be a pretty great month especially since it’s getting chillier here in Thailand and the end of the year is coming! I can’t wait.
☀️ lead / major side characters of color
🏳️🌈lgbtq lead / major side characters
🌸 neurodiversity and trauma
✨ New Release Challenge
💨 Beat the Backlist
📚 Back to the Classics
📖 Library Love Challenge
🎧 Audiobook Challenge 2019
Oh my god, my reading was absolutely HORRIBLE this month. With school and other life things, my reading skidded to a halt and other than reading Cassandra Clare novellas and things for school, I literally only read one book this month. I’m a little bummed about this, honestly, but I’m also not that bad because it allowed me to do other life things and take a bit of break from reading? Which is good, as I really don’t want to go through a huge 2019-2020 reading slump.
And yes, I’m only going to talk about the one book, mostly. Because I can’t be bothered to talk about the other short stories / novellas I read, because I’m lazy like that.
The Turn of the Key by Ruth Ware ★★★☆☆ // This had such a great atmosphere, and it was so fun to try and figure out the mystery! I do think that Ruth Ware is just so excellent at building suspense, but there was something seriously missing for me that I can’t put my finger on (most likely the, in my opinion, the reveal). This is pretty much what happened to me when reading The Death of Mrs. Westaway, so I don’t know whether Ruth Ware is an author for me? … Unless?
Since I barely posted anything in November, I’m just going to list them here! Fun.
- A Strange Combination of Books // Recent Reads #8
- Girls of Storm and Shadow by Natasha Ngan // A stunning, solid, proudly Asian sequel that suffers from second book syndrome
- October ’19 Wrap Up // The One That I Read Too Many Short Stories, Had A Mixed, Tiring Month and Celebrated My Birthday!
- November Reading Plans – A Short October TBR Wrap Up + An Extensive, Weird November TBR ft. lots of self-deprecating humor (But Hey, What’s New)
- I Ramble On About Books, Blogging and Life (ft. my takes on “generic” blogging content and getting into deep stuff) aka the Liebster Award
- In terms of life updates, I feel like my life isn’t that interesting?? I guess?
- Honestly, my life in November was VERY school-centric, with me just drowning under all the work I had to do (special shoutout to all!! those!! English essays!!) and just how tired I was throughout the month
- Oh, something – my baby cousin in Malaysia was born! She is so gorgeous and I love her already, and I cannot wait to go back on Christmas.
- I’m also salty because I was meant to go on a quick trip to Singapore that my parents cancelled HOURS before I was meant to leave, which is beyond frustrating.
- But in terms of my social life and stabilizing myself socially, I do feel that it was a pretty good month?? I feel like I definitely socialised with a lot of people and got closer to a bunch of people I did NOT expect to get close to and wow I’m really proud of myself! Go me, I guess.
- And I do feel like my state of mind significantly improved this month? I’m not sure why, but I definitely feel a LOT better compared to October, which is great! Hopefully this will keep up (and so far, it has?)
Honestly, I feel like I made up for my lack of reading and blogging through all the amazing!! God tier!! Music I found this month!! I mean, for a lot of these, I’m pretty late to the bandwagon, but we’re going to ignore that and continue with the post, shall we?
I found some of my favourite albums EVER in November and a new favourite artist (Lorde I just want to let you know I adore you)
- Supercut by Lorde (Melodrama, 2017)
- Liability by Lorde (Melodrama, 2017)
- Crush Culture by Conan Gray
- Maniac by Conan Gray
- Chanel by Frank Ocean (Chanel, 2017)
- 400 Lux (Pure Heroine, 2013)
- Swingin Party by Lorde (Pure Heroine, 2013)
- White Teeth Teens by Lorde (Pure Heroine, 2013)
- The Love Club by Lorde (Pure Heroine, 2013)
- DHL by Frank Ocean (DHL, 2019)
- Perfect Places by Lorde (Melodrama, 2017)
- Writer in the Dark by Lorde (Melodrama, 2017)
- Sober by Lorde (Melodrama, 2017)
- everything i wanted by Billie Eilish (everything i wanted, 2019)
- Passionfruit by Drake (More Life, 2017)
- tokyo by joan (tokyo, 2017)
- In My Room by Frank Ocean (In My Room, 2019)
MISCELLANEOUS MEDIA OF THE MONTH:
But, yeah, this was really good. I had so much fun watching it and I feel like it’s a great, fun, feel-good movie (I get the bend and snap reference now!! Yay). This definitely clicked with me as law is something I’m interested in and I do really love Elle Woods and Reese Witherspoon? This had me smiling a lot and laughing a bunch too, so I count that as a win.
The Good Place, Season 4 (ongoing)
Yeah, I’m following this along as it is released, and I believe I have said this before but I’ll say it again: I truly feel that the show is at its strongest when set in places that isn’t Earth, which is fortunately, where this season is primarily set! The acting is superb, the humour is A+, and it’s so much fun while giving you plenty of food for thought. I’m genuinely so sad that this is on hiatus until January, and I’m definitely going to miss this show when it’s over.
- Get extracurriculars moving! ✔❌ Ish? I don’t know??
- Pull together a pathways plan/SAT plan. ✔ I mean, I think I’ve done that? If my memory’s correct, that is.
- Get on those revision notes!! ✔❌ The only revision notes I did was revision that was part of my homework, because that’s all I’ve been doing, honestly.
- Read 12+ books. ❌ In conclusion, I’m a clown.
- Make an effort to get essays and major test/homework done at least 24 hours before the due date. ❌ HAHAHAHA oh my god, you THOUGHT.
- Complete and schedule posts at least 24 hours before they’re meant to be published!! (please). ❌ Guess who took a hiatus in the second half of November??
Definitely not me.
- skincare. Skincare. SKINCARE. Also, self care, I guess? ✔❌ … Sure? But like, this was seriously a mixed bag. Sometimes I was so good at it, and sometimes I … was not.
- Exercise at least twice a week, with at least one morning session! ✔ I’m pretty sure I did this? Damn I’m lowkey proud, not gonna lie.
- Organisation!! ✔❌ I honestly don’t know how to evaluate this one. Because yes? But also, I don’t ~feel~ like I actually did this, so like, halfway, I guess.
- Prepare for the December expedition! ✔ Yes, I didn’t do any part of this myself, but at least it’s done!! Now, to walk in those boots. (And no I’m not ready).
- Write up and schedule all the end of year blog posts!! PLEASE. Yeah, I was in a blogging slump in the second stretch of November, but since the year (and the decade, holy crap) is coming to an end soon, I have a bunch of end-of-year posts to get up, and since I’m going to be SO busy in December, I need to get these scheduled promptly without stressing me out.
- Get out of my reading slump. As you can tell, I hit a reading slump in November and I really want to ease out of. Like, take my time with it so I feel like I want to pick up a book again. And I think I can do it.
- Skincare and self-care, dear god. Since December is going to be A LOT, I want to prioritize my self-care and skincare routines especially since I predict that the condition of my skin will go down right before mocks, because school stress!! What’s not to love about that.
- Meet up with friends!! Since I’m heading back to Singapore AND Malaysia in December (spoiler), I’m definitely going to make an effort to meet up with some of my favourite people before the horribleness of mocks and the second term begins!! Truly, some of my absolute favourite people ever ❤
- Revision things! And past papers. Since ya girl has mocks in January, she needs to have revision stuff done in a promptly manner so I can focus on exam techniques and stuff. I guess?
- Try not to die in history and actually get work in consistently and on time? History is definitely my hardest A-Level right now,
and why did I think it was an okay idea to take it?I’m finding it incredibly difficult, and since I really need to do well on mocks, turning in work and getting feedback on a regular basis is something important to me. But at the same time, I need to remember I have other commitments too, so I don’t want to burn myself out.
- And maybe … try some SAT stuff? I’m planning on taking the SATs in March, and since they really are important, I want to get started on the stuff as soon as possible so I can score well. Especially on math stuff
(haha guess who’s gonna fail maths otherwise). Also, my PSAT scores are coming out this week, which is … equal parts exciting but mainly nervewracking? I guess?
- <big Pretty self-explanatory there! I genuinely need to make sure I don’t die so I don’t feel burnt out and prioritize my mental health, but also take it easy. Which is honestly something I should be better about.
December is going to be SUCH a busy month, honestly. And THINKING about it makes me tired.
- IA Expedition!! As part of completing the Duke of Edinburgh International Award (Direct Gold
because hi my name is Taasia and I like pain), I am undertaking a practice trek next week, so like yeah!! Fun times! I’m really scared and afraid I’m actually going to die, but apparently it is quite fun (at least in hindsight)? And I’m pushing myself out of my comfort zone, so go me??
- School. And no one is surprised. I mean, as of writing this I only have about one week left, and I’m tired. I like the subjects I’m doing and all, but I need a nap.
- Term Break!!! I am literally SO hyped for my plans for term break? I do enjoy school right now and the independence I’m having as a result of it but I also want a break? I’m heading back to Singapore for the majority of the holidays and even though a lot of it will be me crying over how I’m going to fail my mocks in January it’s all gonna be fine!!
famous last words
- Christmas!! In Malaysia!! Oh my god, I’m actually BEYOND THRILLED this is happening! Like I mentioned, my baby cousin was born in November and I’m going to meet her!! Soon!! And I cannot wait. I’m staying with my mum’s side of the family, and every time I stay there I always have the time of my life AND such a blast because they’re honestly so chill! And also, I can meet!! My friends. Who I love. A LOT.
- And the New Year?? Is Coming?? In One Month?? I -. This has me so shook. The fact that not only the New Year is coming so soon, but also the fact that the DECADE is ending too? Somebody, hold me.
How was November for you? What was your favorite book that you read this month, and how was your reading month? Any other favourites? Bloggers, what were some of your favorite posts this month? Feel free to share them here! Did you set goals last month, and how did you do on them?
I would love to know.
I hope you all have a wonderful December!